Exynos 990 is a 64-bit octa-core ARM microprocessor of high performance. It is designed by Samsung and introduced in 2020. Based on 7 nm EUV (Extreme Ultra Violet) Fin-FET process, this processor contains 8 cores consisting of 2 Mongoose M5 big cores operating at a clocked speed of 2.73 GHz, 2 Cortex-A76 cores operating at a clocked speed of 2.5 GHz and 4 Cortex-A55 cores operating at a clocked speed of 2.0 GHz. Exynos 990 supports up to 12 GB of quad-channel 16-bit LPDDR5 RAM. It provides a Mali-G77 MP11 GPU. The 990 comes with 5G LTE modem that supports cat 18 uplink and cat 20 downlinks.
|Series||Samsung Exynos 9|
|Codename||Exynos M5 / Cortex-A76 / Cortex-A55|
|Clock Rate||2.73 GHz|
|Number of Cores||8|
|Manufacturing Technology||7 nm|
|Features||ARM Mali-G77 MP11 GPU , (2 x Samsung Mongoose Custom CPU)+(2 x Cortex-A76)+(4 x Cortex-A55), LPDDR5 RAM|
|GPU||ARM Mali-G77 MP11|
Features of Exynos 990 Processor:
- Exynos 990 offers powerful neural processing unit (NPU) and digital signal processor (DSP) reaching up to the next level of artificial intelligence. With dual-core neural processing unit (NPU) and improved digital signal processor (DSP), Exynos 990 can perform up to fifteen trillion operations per second (TOPS).
- The Exynos 990 processor designed for AI offers richer mobile experiences including intelligent camera, virtual assistant and extended reality up to the next level.
- The camera gets upgraded adding with intelligence. The machine learning capability of the NPU automatically detects objects. Image Signal Processor (ISP) allows to generate and apply specific camera settings.
- The ISP provides advanced algorithms to reduce noise, improve texture and edge art-fact, performing better local tone for ultimate image quality and automatically provide the best settings for the low lighting condition and skin tone, NPU detects a face in the frame.
- The Exynos 990 supports up to six individual sensors including an ultra-high 108MP image sensor. It will able to process three sensors concurrently for fuller multi-camera experiences.
- The Exynos 990 processor brings incredibly fast mobile broadband pairing with the next-generation 5G technology. The Exynos Modem 5123 supports blazingly fast download speed of up to 7.35Gbps in mm-Wave and 5.1Gbps in sub-6Ghz setting with up to 8x carrier aggregation.
- 4G LTE mode supports up to 3Gbps of downlink speed and up to 422Mbps of uplink speed. The modem also supports E-UTRA-NR Dual Connectivity (EN-DC) which combines LTE and 5G connectivity to maximize mobile downlink speed
- The Exynos 990 processor features the 5th generation custom CPU for ultimate computing. The tri-cluster 5th generation custom CPU delivers 20% enhanced performance. Combined with the Cortex-A76 dual-core and the Cortex-A55 quad-core, the Exynos 990 processor delivers optimal performance and better power efficiency for long usage of mobile.
- The Exynos 990 supports LPDDR5 RAM which data rates of 5,500 MB/s. It enables to transfer massive amount of data needed for 5G communication, AI applications, graphically demanding games, ultra-high resolutions videos, and more.
- With an advanced multi-format codec, the Exynos 990 supports encoding and decoding of 8K UHD video at 30 frames per second (fps).For better power efficiency, transferring encoded and decoded data can be reduced with the bandwidth compression technology.
- Also video coding algorithm enhanced the video quality by optimizing certain parts of an image frame. It offers to be more sensitive for the viewer as well as for human’s visual cognitive characteristics.
- NPU’s AI capabilities make videos more creative and stylish adding up special effects such as bokeh for depth, 10-bit video and HDR display. The processor also supports 120Hz refresh-rate display that makes games more realistic by reducing screen tearing and makes animations smoother.
- Paring with the new architecture and cutting-edge technologies, Exynos 990 enhanced security to keep safe and secure user’s information. Using memory protection technologies like DRAM encryption engine, has upgraded to protect data safer with faster processing speed.
- Physically Un-clone-able Function (PUF) generates a unique key based on the physical properties which added Integrated Secure Element (ISE) layer stores and handles personal data separately from the OS environment. It is always different for different chipsets.
Gaming Experience of Exynos 990:
Exynos 990 compete better with mind-blowing graphics with a powerful octa-core CPU, a cutting-edge GPU, an advanced display and a video subsystem. Using a dual-core neural processing unit (NPU), the Exynos 990 processor delivers faster and efficient machine learning performance. With a mobile processor, Exynos 990 is designed to achieve a powerful AI processing experience that makes an era of AI. The processor also supports 120Hz refresh-rate display that makes games more realistic by reducing screen tearing and makes animations smoother.
The Exynos 990, with Arm Mali G77 MP11 GPU, offers 3D graphics processing for a realistic and immersive gaming experience. The Exynos 990 delivers improved graphic performance and power efficiency up to 20% using the new GPU architecture. This new engine architecture delivers another leap in performance density and energy efficiency. Combined with powerful CPU and LPDDR5 the Exynos 990 deals with seamless gaming experience without lags and faster loading speed.
Fast AI Performance:
Exynos 990 offers powerful neural processing unit (NPU) and digital signal processor (DSP) reaching up to the next-level of artificial intelligence. With dual-core neural processing unit (NPU) and improved digital signal processor (DSP), Exynos 990 can perform up to fifteen trillion operations per second (TOPS). The Exynos 990 processor designed for AI offer richer mobile experiences including intelligent camera, virtual assistant and extended reality up to the next level.
The Exynos 990 processor brings incredibly fast mobile broadband by paired with the next generation 5G technology. The Exynos modem 5123 supports blazingly fast download speed of up to 7.35Gbps in mm Wave and 5.1Gbps in sub-6Ghz setting with up to 8x carrier aggregation. 4G LTE mode provides up to 3Gbps of downlink speed and up to 422Mbps of uplink speed.
Devices that use Exynos 990 processor:
This chipset is used in flagship smartphones like Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+ and Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra.